Food Handlers Permit / Food Service Worker Cards

Any Parent group who serve or sales food to anyone, should have a Food Service Card, even if all you are selling is sno-cones, or popcorn.

Food Service Worker Cards are required for any person who handles, prepares, serves, sells or gives away food for human consumption, including those whose duties are restricted to busing or washing dishes. The rule does not apply to workers in facilities that handle food or beverages exclusively in a closed package or container. New workers must obtain their licenses within 30 days.

Cards are obtained by coming in to one of our offices. You have the choice of taking a written test after reviewing a study booklet of food safety information, in one of our offices (click here for testing schedules, locations, and maps) or by using an approved on-line testing web site (click here for a listing of approved web sites). If you chose an on-line testing center the bar-coded certificate and the appropriate fee must be presented to our regional offices in order to obtain your FSW card.

Cards must be renewed every three years by re-testing. This includes older cards issued prior to 1997. The fee to take the test is $10.00 per attempt. When the test is passed, the fee for the card is $5.00. An original of the card must be kept at the workplace. Those who wish to retain a copy for their own records or for multiple job locations may obtain duplicates of their license for $3.00. We accept cash and credit cards at our four testing offices. Food Service Worker cards are valid for a period of three years.



(As of July 20, 2011, Volunteer cards are no longer offered.)


To obtain a Food Service Worker’s card you may do one of the following:

1. Study for the test on you’re own, then go to a testing site and take the test. The study guide is available online at:

The test is $10 per attempt. You must get 20 out of 25 questions correct. Once you pass the test, you pay $5 for the card. It will be a picture card. The band will need to have the original to keep in the concession stand when you are working. Duplicate copies are $3 each.

2. You can purchase an online class and test. This would be from the private sector. Two recommended sites are: 75 min. cost $9 70% to pass

ServSafe 50 min. cost $16 75% to pass

Once you have completed the class and test, you will get a certificate with a barcode to print. Bring that certificate down to the testing site and purchase your card for $5. You may get a duplicate card for $3 each.

The closest testing site to the school is:

Eastern Regional Office

1255 W Baseline Rd., Bldg. C, Ste. #270

Mesa, AZ 85202

(SW corner of Baseline & Alma School, SW building of complex)

Testing is conducted on a walk-in basis. Allow enough time to complete the test. Last exam will be given out at 11:15 am and 4:15 pm; all exams are picked up at 11:30 am and 4:30 pm. No testing is done on holidays. For further information, please call 602-506-2960.

Please have exact change. Cash and credit cards accepted. No bills larger than $20.00 will be accepted. Checks are NOT accepted.

Your Food Service Worker’s card is good for three years. You may get all this information online at:

Bake sale: I would like to make food at home and sell it to the public. Is that allowed?
Only if you meet ALL of the following three criteria:

Only non-potentially hazardous food items may be made. (Non-potentially hazardous food items generally means food items that do not need refrigeration), and
you are limited to the sale at religious or charitable organizations bake sale events only. (Usually these bake sales are limited to only four times a year), and
you must disclose at the sale to the public that the food is prepared in a kitchen that is not under regulation and inspection by the Environmental Services Department. This can be done through a sign. Making food at home for any other commercial purpose or give away promotions is not allowed.

 Are there any special requirements for dispensing water at athletic events and other similar functions?
Yes, there are potential hazards associated with water dispersal. There need to be controls in place to be sure water is dispensed in a safe and sanitary manner. Please see our information sheets “Guidelines for Dispensing Water at Sporting Events” and “Safe Handling of Drinking Water” or more information drinking water requirements for permitted establishments and recommendations for non-permitted facilities and events.