The Role of a Parent Volunteer Group
The objectives of a PTSO are to (customize following to match bylaws or goals):
· Establish and maintain a working relationship among parents, school and community.
· Support school improvement teams and promote the finest education possible for the students at XZY Elementary.
· Expand technology and supplement equipment and supplies.
· Increase student safety and security.
· Develop programs and projects that will support or enrich the curriculum.
· Enhance the quality of education by raising funds for school supplies or programs that fall outside the school budget.
The PTO DOES
- Support the educational programs and extracurricular activities of the school
- Encourage parents’ involvement in their individual children’s lives, education, class, and school
- Provide feedback and suggestions for school programs
- Coordinate programs and projects that will support or enrich the curriculum
- Encourage/fund the increased exposure of students to technology
- Provide feedback/assist with increased awareness of school safety and security issues
- Organize fundraising efforts to support some additional programs, equipment, and services not covered in the school budget
- Support the educational goals of the school and assist with attaining those goals through parent and community volunteerism
- Recruit volunteers and coordinate volunteer efforts to staff PTO functions and assist with school programs
- Stay aware of legislation and political issues that may impact education and schools
- A LOT ! ! !
The PTO does NOT
- Run the school
- Force parents to participate in PTO and/or school activities
- Set policy regarding school programs
- Define the school’s curriculum
- Dictate the technology platforms and/or software used by the school
- Define or interfere with the school’s security program and policies
- Control the school’s budget
- Set the educational goals, testing requirements, or compliance factors
- Have jurisdiction or authority over school staff, teachers, and other employees
- Endorse a particular political candidate or commercial concern
- DO EVERYTHING ! ! !